How to grow & germinate your seedlings
Having healthy germinated seedlings is crucial to successful growth in the Airgarden. If you’ve chosen to grow your own seedlings, you can view the steps to follow below, or watch video instructions on YouTube.
Step 1) Plant your seeds
Read how to plant your seeds in your Airgarden grow plugs here.
Step 2) Cover & wait for seeds to sprout
- Place grow plugs back in the seedling tray and put the lid back on
- Place the tray inside in a bright place, but out of direct sunlight (e.g. the kitchen bench)
- If they’re on a cool surface place a tea-towel underneath to keep the tray warm
Step 3) As they sprout, put seeds in sunlight for 3 hours per day for 5 days
- Seeds will take varying times to sprout depending on the plant. As soon as seeds sprout transfer them to an open tupperware container and place them in direct sun for 3 hours per day, or 8 hours under a fluorescent or LED desk lamp
- If any plugs start turning light brown, they are drying out. Add water to the top until they glisten, or pour 5mm of water into the tupperware container.
- Once all your seeds have sprouted, you can remove the clear lid and move them all back to the main tray.
Step 4) Put seeds in sunlight for 6 hours per day for 5 days
- After 5 days, place seedlings in direct sun for 6 hours per day or under a fluorescent or LED desk lamp for 12 hours per day
- If any of the plugs start turning light brown, they are drying out. Add water to the top until they glisten, or pour 1 litre of water into the bottom of the tray
Step 5) Add nutrients to water after 10 days
- After 10 days, using a measuring dropper add 1ml of Part 1 and 1ml of Part 2 Airgarden nutrient solution to a litre of water, then pour the mixture into the bottom of the tray
- Continue to water with this mixture every 2-3 days until roots have sprouted
Step 6) Wait for the roots to sprout
- Seedlings must have roots sprouting before being transferred to your Airgarden. This typically takes 1-3 weeks, but some are faster than others.
- When roots have sprouted (i.e. you can see them coming out of the bottom of the grow plug) you can move these seedlings into your Airgarden.