How to plant seeds in your Airgarden grow plugs
Having healthy germinated seedlings is crucial to successful growth in the Airgarden. If you’ve chosen to grow your own seedlings, you can view the steps to follow below, or watch video instructions on YouTube.
Tips for selecting seeds
- Ensure the seeds you select are in our list of 150 Airgarden-compatible plants.
- Select your seeds using our seasonal / location-based guide
- Buy relatively fresh seeds, as after a year or two most seeds don’t germinate as well.
Step 1) Set up the grow plug tray
- Remove the grow plug tray from inside the solid tray with the clear lid.
- Remove 15 of the 45 grow plugs, leaving 30 remaining in your tray.
- Add 2L of warm water (max 35°C) to the solid tray.
- Place the tray with 30 grow plugs back into the solid seedling tray with the warm water. NB: The grow plugs should expand and soak up the water over 3 - 10 minutes. If the tops are still dry, add water directly to the top until dark brown and glistening.
Step 2) Sow the seeds
- Punch a 5mm hole in the top of each grow plug using a pen or pencil
- Place seeds (as per the below table) in the hole, then lightly re-cover with the coir you removed
|Plant||Seeds per grow plug|
|Leafy greens (e.g. kale, rocket, spinach)||4 seeds|
Larger fruiting vegetables (e.g. cucumber, capsicum, tomatoes)
- Label each grow plug with paddle pop sticks so you know what seedlings are what
- Place clear lid back on top of solid seedling tray