What to Plant in Your Airgarden in Autumn
Just because summer is over, it doesn't mean the end of growing your own herbs and vegetables! Autumn is a colourful time of the year, and the perfect time of year to start sowing cooler-season crops that will be ready to harvest throughout Autumn and Winter.
In addition, although Autumn comes with cooler days, cold nights and reduced sunlight, your aeroponic Airgarden creates a controlled growing environment, which makes your plants less susceptible to the natural elements than when growing in soil – meaning there are many crops that will thrive all year round.
Read on for our favourite things to plant during Autumn in the main growing regions around Australia.
Many leafy greens and vegetables grow best in cooler weather all around Australia:
- Leek, rocket, spring onion and Asian greens (e.g. bok choy)
- Brassica vegetables like broccoli, cabbage, kale and cauliflower
- Brussel sprouts, spinach and peas
- Lettuce is also a cool season veggie so will grow well in your Airgarden throughout all of Autumn and Winter
- The cooler weather is also perfect for many herbs such as coriander, chives, dill, mint, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram and oregano
Autumn Subtropical Plants
The following herbs, fruits and vegetables thrive in the subtropical regions of the country, which is located on the southern, central eastern and western coasts.
- Herbs: Coriander, parsley, dill, mint, thyme, marjoram, sage, lavender, tarragon, oregano, sorrel
- Fruits and Vegetables: broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, bok choy, rocket, silver beet, peas and snow peas, spinach, tomatoes, spring onion
Autumn Tropical Plants
In the far northern areas of Australia, the following herbs, fruits and vegetables will grow with great success with your Airgarden.
- Herbs: dill, coriander, thyme, sage, mint, oregano, basil, marjoram, tarragon, chives, parsley
- Fruits and Vegetables: beans, broccoli, cabbage, capsicum, cauliflower, cucumber, eggplant, silverbeet, kale, leeks, lettuce, rocket, tomatoes, spinach, zucchini, celery, zucchini, sweet tomato
Autumn Desert/Arid Tropical Plants
In the harsh conditions of central Australia, you are still able to get fantastic yield by planting the following herbs, fruits and vegetables.
- Herbs: parsley, coriander, marjoram, thyme, oregano, lavender, comfrey, dill, chives, curry leaves, mint, sage, oregano, rosemary
- Fruits and Vegetables: beans, broccoli, capsicum, cauliflower, kale, lettuce, peas/snow peas, rocket, spring onion, silver beet, spinach, tomatoes
Autumn Temperate Plants
In the temperate climates of South West and South East Australia, the following herbs, fruits, and vegetables will grow well in your hydroponic tower.
- Herbs: coriander, oregano, parsley, chives
- Fruits and Vegetables: broccoli, Brussel sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, leeks, lettuce, bok choy, snow peas, rocket, silverbeet, spinach, green beans
Autumn Cool Climate Plants
In Tasmania, and the inner hills of Victoria and NSW, you will be able to grow a range of herbs, fruits and vegetables including:
- Herbs: Dill, chives, spring onion, parsley, wheatgrass
- Fruits and Vegetables: Bok choy, cauliflower, cabbage, collards, leek, kale, lettuce, mustard greens, spring onion, pak choy, spinach, rocket, watercress, silver beet
Common Autumn Pests
The cooler weather usually means defending your crops against snails and slugs, but the good news is they are not a risk when growing in a vertical aeroponic garden!
However with all brassica crops (including broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbages, cauliflower and kale), watch out for white butterflies – they will lay eggs on your plants' leaves and heads, which turn into green caterpillars who can eat their way through your entire crop incredibly quickly for their size!
Using a pest net over your Airgarden is the best protection against butterflies, but if you do notice any caterpillars remove them by hand or using an organic pesticide such as Nature's Way Caterpillar Killer.
Airgarden Will Get You Started
Airgarden has the best vertical garden kit for hydroponic systems available in Australia. Our starter kits have all the equipment and seeds to get you ready and planting this Autumn. We also stock an extensive range of seeds, allowing you to order the plants you need, when you need them.