How to test & adjust your PH levels
The pH levels in your Airgarden reservoir are directly related to your plants' ability to absorb nutrients. If the solution is too acidic, micronutrients are absorbed in toxic levels while macronutrients are lacking. Conversely, if the solution is too alkaline, plants will not absorb micronutrients.
Typically, the natural pH levels in Australian water are pretty good and consistent. But to be sure, and to keep your plants healthy and able to thrive in your Airgarden, you need to test and balance (if necessary) your pH levels every time you add water and/or nutrients to the base reservoir.
What is the target pH level in hydroponics
The target pH level for growing plants with hydroponics in your Airgarden is 6.0 as per the below chart.
Don't worry if you notice your pH rising throughout the week. Your water's pH levels will naturally rise as nutrients are absorbed by the plants and taken out of the water. It is not necessary to adjust your pH more than once a week if your plants are looking healthy!
How to measure & balance the pH levels in your Airgarden
For instructions on how to measure and adjust your pH levels using the pH kit provided with your Airgarden, watch the below video.
Or follow these written instructions:
- Use the supplied pH Kit and take a sample of the reservoir water using the test tube (only fill half way)
- Our target pH level is 6.0, however a range of 5.5 - 6.5 is also acceptable
- Add 2 drops of indicator solution to the test tube and compare the colour to the indicator chart provided
- If pH is high or low add between 1-2ml of pH Down or pH Up respectively, and re-test. Use a dropper to measure precisely
- Repeat steps until you reach the target pH of 6.0
How to use a digital pH pen to test pH levels in your Airgarden
Whilst the standard pH testing kit provided with your Airgarden is just as effective, a PH Pen provides a 100% accurate and precise measurement, and can be re-used for the lifetime of your Airgarden.
To use a PH pen follow the instructions or watch the video below:
- Set up your pen for use by putting the 'electrode storage solution' in the pen lid
- Ensure your pen is 'calibrated' to 7 (it is pre-calibrated for your first use)
- Test your PH levels by placing the pen in your base reservoir water
- You're aiming for a PH level of 6. Based on the pen's reading, adjust your PH levels as required (1ml of PH up or down per 50 litres of water)!
Happy growing Tribe! If you have any questions don't hesitate to contact us.
pH Testing Kit Product Note
Please handle this product with care. Keep out of children’s reach. Avoid contact with skin, eyes, or clothing. Store it in a cool, dark place.