bolting vegetables - what can be done?
how to delay bolting
there are a few things you can do to prevent vegetables from bolting:
- keep your plants well hydrated:
- don't worry, the airgarden is fully automated, so your plants will be well watered.
- choose varieties of plants that resist bolting:
- try ‘australian yellow leaf’, ‘buttercrunch’, ’flame’, ‘goldrush’ ,’lollo rossa’, ‘cos’ and ’royal oakleaf’ lettuce varieties. these are all relatively heat tolerant and bolt resistant.
- pick the outer leaves off keeping them from maturing:
- this can extend the time the plant produces by as much as 6-8 weeks, giving you more of a chance to grow it longer and delay flavour changes.
- Give them some shade:
- a simple piece of shade cloth or a beach umbrella can provide much needed relief from intense sun & temps that can cause many of the above plants to prematurely want to ‘bolt’.