the many mental health benefits of gardening - why #growingyourown is not just about food
in a good year we can all be a little vulnerable to feeling overwhelmed, stressed, isolated and disconnected. for many of us, 2020 has amplified these feelings, covid-19 has forced us into an unfamiliar place and we are all trying to adjust ourselves to this.
as a panacea to the isolation and extra time we are all facing, many aussies are now spending more time either seeking out, or actively gardening to help them whilst at home. a recent nielsen study shows internet related searches for gardening have more than doubled compared to last year.
source: nielsen digital content ratings, daily tagged, 01/04/2019-12/05/2019 versus 30/03/202-10/05/2020, digital (c/m), persons 2+, total time spent, text, home & garden sub-category
according to this fantastic article from plant life balance, we humans have a built in need to be connected with nature. dr dominique hes notes, “gardening calms the emotional side of the brain. research shows that gardening, time in nature and being around plants reduces stress, just as active mindfulness can.
“both activities work on the amygdala, which is the emotional switchboard of the brain. when you are gardening you are observing what is happening now – you are in the present – and this is a key technique of mindfulness.”
research by plant life balance also found that there are many benefits to gardening. which include:
- 66% of people feel a sense of satisfaction when gardening
- 61% feel a sense of accomplishment when gardening
- 58% of people experience improved mood when gardening
- 53% feel more connected to nature
- 34% of people experience an increase in creativity when gardening
- 32% of people feel a desire to start new gardening projects
- 17% experience improved concentration
- 11% of people feel more connected to their community when gardening
we can tell you from our own experience, growing our own fresh fruit and veg in an airgarden gives us far more than just healthy food - it helps us be still, reconnect and feel great!!!